Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Breake Lights



5 but on Cain and his offering he did not look with favor. So Cain was very angry, and his face was downcast. 6 Then the LORD said to Cain, "Why are you angry? Why is your face downcast? 7 If you do what is right, will you not be accepted? But if you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at your door; it desires to have you, but you must master it."

–Genesis 15:5-6



Since the birth of LJ (Little Jason) my driving has changed a little bit. I do not drive as fast as I use to and I am less likely to turn on yellow lights, and I have become a stickler for going no more than 10 miles over the posted speed limit. With all those changes I still have a bad habit when driving. It is Brake lights. I see brake lights from the car in front of me and usually I always wait to the last minute to put the brakes on my car. Needless to say, this causes some intense moments of fellowship between the wife and I. Her thoughts are don’t ya see all the 4 or 5 cars in front of you putting on their brakes. This is a sign that maybe you should put on your brakes. My response is….”I have plenty of time. Can you please let me drive”.
Here are some facts about rear or brake lights:
Ø They must be red…you know how some cars front lights are different colors (yellow, white, neon, green, etc…) They are this color because red is an uniform color for stop in whatever country you are in.
Ø The intensity of the brake lights is the same in every car. So, when someone steps on their brakes whether you are driving an escalade or a pinto, the brightness of the light is the same. This also helps alarm the driver behind you.


As I think about Brake Lights…. I must admit that my wife is correct. I do need to take heed to the brake lights of the 5 or 6 cars in front of me that have put on their brakes and not just react to the car in front of me putting on their brakes and becoming upset (like I usually do BUT maybe that is just me). I think we do not recognize the other 5 or 6 cars putting on their brake lights because at times we may be a little too engrossed in our world and fail to see what is going on around us.

Below is the story of Cain and Abel (most of us know this story and have heard it many of times). Something to think about…God came to him personally and gave him a warning (brakes lights so to speak). Cain did not take heed and ended up killing his brother on purpose. I want you to think about your life, is there anything where you see brake lights (warnings) coming up for. No one wants to get in an accident; neither does God want you to get into any accidents…. Are you slowing down appropriately for the brake lights or are you being like me and slamming on the brakes at the last minute hoping to avoid an accident?

Genesis 4:1-9

1 Adam lay with his wife Eve, and she became pregnant and gave birth to Cain. She said, "With the help of the LORD I have brought forth a man." 2 Later she gave birth to his brother Abel. Now Abel kept flocks, and Cain worked the soil. 3 In the course of time Cain brought some of the fruits of the soil as an offering to the LORD. 4 But Abel brought fat portions from some of the firstborn of his flock. The LORD looked with favor on Abel and his offering, 5 but on Cain and his offering he did not look with favor. So Cain was very angry, and his face was downcast. 6 Then the LORD said to Cain, "Why are you angry? Why is your face downcast? 7 If you do what is right, will you not be accepted? But if you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at your door; it desires to have you, but you must master it." 8 Now Cain said to his brother Abel, "Let's go out to the field." And while they were in the field, Cain attacked his brother Abel and killed him. 9 Then the LORD said to Cain, "Where is your brother Abel?" "I don't know," he replied. "Am I my brother's keeper?"


Questions: Do you remember a time when you had to slam on your brakes or turn off the side of the road due to the person in front of you, what happen? How did you feel when you about that incident, was it their fault of your fault? Do you think that there are areas of your life where you see brake lights and may need to change, explain?

No comments:

Post a Comment